The distillery was founded by the Laird of Jura, Archibald Campbell in 1810. The distillery fell into disrepair but was restored in 1884. Around 1900 it was again in disuse and dismantled. In the 1950s two local estate owners Robin Fletcher and Tony Riley-Smith keen to revive the local economy had the distillery rebuilt and expanded by the architects Lothian, Barclay, Jarvis & Boys with input from whisky and distillery expert William Delmé-Evans. The work was completed in 1963, and included the installation of taller stills, allowing the distillery to create a mix of malts.