Bruichladdich might have been described as ‘a working distillery museum’, but today it is one of Islay’s most modern plants and one of Scotland’s most innovative. It was built by the Harvey brothers in 1881. In 1937, the eccentric Joseph Hobbs picked it up, but by 1954 it become part of DCL, which quickly offloaded it to AB Grant. In 1968, Invergordon acquired the distillery and increased the capacity from two to four stills. It joined whyte & Mackay's portfolio in 1993, unfortunately closed down in 1995 due to the surplus to requirements. Untill 2000, the distillery was bought by Murray Mcdavid and reopened at 2001. The first bottling of Port Charlotte is launched in 2006 and The first expression of Octomore is released. In 2012, it was bought French drinks group Remy Cointreau and plans to build own maltings on Islay by acquiring local farmland for barley trials.