Caperdonich was originally founded as “Glen Grant No.2” in 1897-98 by Major James Grant Junior. After Major took control of the “Glen Grant Distillery” that his father founded, It was the first of the ‘extension’ distilleries built next to the original plant when demand began to rise. Sadly, Glen Grant No. 2 was forced to close just five years after being opened, in 1902. The site was actually re-opened in 1965 and in about 1977 it got its name “Caperdonich” meaning "The Secret Well". This distillery was then again mothballed in 2002 and finally torn down in 2010-11.
Today almost all of its output is used in Seagram blends (Chivas Regal, Passport, Something Special and Queen Anne), but some independent bottlings have been released Caperdonich as a single malt from time to time.