Sort + Filter
Known as the most northerly distillery on the Scottish mainland for a very long time, the Old Pulteney Distillery was established in the fishing town of Wick in 1826. In 1930 production ceased due to imposition of prohibition in Wick and finally re-opened around 1951 (prohibition remained in force until about 1947). Both stills have large boil balls and the wash still has the distinctive, truncated flat top with the lyne arm coming out from the side of the still - reportedly because the still that was ordered was much taller than could be accommodated within the ceiling of the distillery. Producing a fruity and malty whisky with a distinctive saltiness, Old Pulteney has earned the label of The Maritime Malt for a reason. It currently is a part of the Inver House Distillers (and ultimately owned by Thai Beverage).