The Brora distillery was built in 1819 by the Marquess of Stafford, although it was known as "Clynelish" until the opening of the Clynelish Distillery. In 1968, the name of the original Clynelish was changed to "Brora". Most of the whisky produced as Brora after 1973 is in the lightly peated Highland style.
Broras whiskies are immensely oily and smoky, as well as some in which there is the merest exhalation of peat. The waxy, oily, marine/mineral characters seen in Clynelish are always present, but in magnified form with more lemon acidity.